Thank you all for praying!! God has answered! Please see the email below from the Harrell's. Today, we are going to a celebration at their house!
All praise be to God… the tumor is benign!!!
Four weeks to the day after learning that Dylan had a brain tumor, God answered our prayer.
Dylan's neurosurgeon, Dr. Price, called early Wednesday evening to let us know that the pathology had been returned. His tumor was not the dreaded GBM that the doctors feared he might have. Instead, it has been identified as a rare tumor called Pleomorphic Xanthoastrocytoma (PXA).
We don't know a lot of the details yet about what this means for Dylan, but we do know a few things:
1) It is NOT cancer! – Praise God!
2) Dylan is NOT in a battle for his life! – Praise God!
3) From what we have read, this has a high rate (90%) of survival! – Praise God!
For those of you keeping score on those medical percentages, here is what God has had to say about them in Dylan's case… they don't mean anything while God is in charge!
– Initially we were told it was almost certainly cancer.
– Just before the surgery, we were told that there was a 1 in 100 chance that it wasn't cancer. – After surgery we were given a little more hope that it was benign (no numbers were given).
– When pathology initially came back inconclusive, we were told that about 60% of the time those cases come back benign.
– Now we are told we have a 90% chance of good prognosis.Isn't God awesome?!?!
We meet with Dr. Price this afternoon at 3:30 for Dylan's follow-up neuro check. We should find out more information there about what all of this means for Dylan's treatment, and we will pass it along to you as soon as we know.
All of you have been right in the middle of this battle with us and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Hang in there, God is listening!
Our prayer requests now are:
1) No further treatment (other than the follow-up MRI's) will be required.
2) God will not allow the tumor (or bump, as Dylan calls it) to return.
3) God's glory and love for us will be shown through all of this.
"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God." Psalm 40: 1-3
Love in Christ,
Jennifer and Bret